Friday, May 23, 2008

Research in Progress ~ Details Of An Early Wool Quilt

Visit The Gatherings, to see all of the beautiful antique and vintage textiles I have ~ antique clothing, hats, accessories, children's clothing, vintage bed and table linens, antique children's toys, vintage sewing notions, quilts and so much more!

Subscribe to The Gatherings Antique Vintage by Email

This quilt intrigued me and at the time of purchase I asked about the history. Although very little information could be provided I do know it was originally purchased in the southwestern part of Wisconsin. So the quilt has laid folded on my bed only to wait until I have more time to do research.

It is a very bold and graphic quilt in a light purple (although it shows on the pink tone in this photo) with the blocks outlined in a tan/brown wool. Large black wool squares alternate with the pattern blocks. The back of the quilt is a whole cloth brown calico. The quilting is very fine running on a diagonal. A black wool twill tape finishes the edge . Thin batting between the layers. I date the quilt about 1880.

So I have decided to post two of the photos on my blog and place this query that perhaps someone might be able to provide more information. Comments are always welcome.

No comments: